Monday, December 17, 2012

Flash Haxe Gaming SDK, their tools, our tools

So Adobe released a few weeks ago its Gaming SDK for flash. The package includes Starling, Away3D and Feathers, three well know quality open source ActionScript3 libraries. You can easily find some externs for most of them on http://lib.haxe.org, which is great! However, during the development of my last game (which used Starling and Haxe) I found out that using haxelibs wasn't enough. A lot of good stuff is happening in the AS3 side, Starling is improving day after day on Github, users create really useful extensions for it. Time is precious and we don't want to write externs for everything or rewrite everything in haxe do we? Thanks to the great haxe/flash support, we can easily use all the good stuff in a matter of seconds, we can hack AS3 code and use the result from Haxe too. In this post I will try to teach beginners how to fish AS3 :)
  • how to compile a bunch of .as files into a .swf using the Flex SDK.
  • how to use those .swf files in haxe (with no extra work)
  • how to patch things when haxe is not happy with the .swf
We'll end up with the entire Adobe Gaming SDK, and more, for Haxe. But the journey is more important than the destination. NOTE: If you are not interested in the process and just want the SDK, I created a bunch of github repositories to host the results. See the test repository to learn how to play with it https://github.com/labe-me/haxe-gaming-sdk-test NOTE: I do not intend to write any extern for these libraries (I am too lazy for that), hence I won't submit them to haxelib. Feel free to use my work in any way you want to create nice haxelib packages. As far as I am concerned I really enjoy the haxelib git support :) Start. We are going to compile .as files, you'll need to install the Flex SDK. Let's learn how it works with Starling. (1) get the library sources:
[...] read more: Flash Haxe Gaming SDK, their tools, our tools

No comments:

Post a Comment