Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Year Of Scala

A Year Of Scala:

About a year ago I started using Scala. A programming language I felt in love with after all. The one and only programming language that started making me smile when I was happy to see how elegant I can express my ideas.

I have been trying to spread the word about Scala during various Flash conferences and always tried convincing my colleagues and friends to learn this great language. A blog post by Alan Shaw about his experience with Haskell inspired me to write about my journey.

Why Scala

I was very unhappy with ActionScript and Java last year. ActionScript is a good start but needs to adapt the features of the dropped ECMAScript 4 proposal to become interesting and competitive in my humble opinion. Java on the other hand is only interesting to me because of its virtual machine. The language itself is simple and has the features you need to get the job done.

I got very late into the Java game and missed the bumpy early years. However I was never earning money with Java since I was doing only open source[...]

No comments:

Post a Comment