Friday, November 30, 2012

How to make a Facebook social game

Hi and welcome back to my blog!
This time I’m going to talk about the process of making a very basic social game as a Facebook app.
It’s my hope that if you know how to make a Flash game and have a little bit of PHP/database experience by the end of the article you will be set to make your first Facebook app.
This is a technical article covering the implementation of some of the core social game subsystems and not intended to be a discussion about moral justification of social game mechanics or even about how to design a social game – I’ll leave those aspects to game-designers and the media :)
The game I’m going to be making is called ‘Pet My Kitty’.

Click to play the live version of the game on Facebook

Pet My Kitty

In a nod to the now defunct mock-social game, Cow Clicker Pet My Kitty will have an absolute minimal set of functionality necessary to operate as a social game:
  • Interactive mechanic
  • Database persistence
  • Ability to purchase an in-game item
  • Invite friends
  • Social marketing incentive
Let’s quickly review each one of these points to elaborate on why they are key to a social game.
Interactive mechanic
There has to be something interactive about a Facebook game, no matter how simple otherwise it wouldn’t classify as a game. Furthermore, there needs to be something visually rich and rewarding associated with each interaction, so the user understands they are doing things the right way.
Read more: How to make a Facebook social game

No comments:

Post a Comment